Many communities today are exploring alternative management scenarios for their motherhouse, provincialate, or nursing facility. For some, the current house or facility manager is a member of the community and does not want to continue in the role of administrator. For others, cost concerns, operational challenges, and personnel management issues require a new approach to management. If your congregation is considering a transition to lay
administration or other possible management changes,
the following list of questions may provide a useful checklist:
- What factors should
we consider in the decision process to find a qualified lay replacement?
How does the transition work, and how long does it usually take?
- What specific issues have arisen that have led us to consider a change
in house administration? Are these issues likely to persist over the
- With our current resources and skill sets, will we be able to effectively
manage staff relation problems, maintenance issues, and overall operational
demands in the future given the growing complexity in these areas?
- Do we have the resources, time, and skills to
make the necessary operational changes in areas such as food service,
housekeeping, maintenance, etc.?
- Of the organizations that provide professional administration
services, are there any who
understand that this is our home and who specialize in meeting the unique needs of religious communities?
- If we hire an outside administrator, what kind of experience should
they have? How can we be sure that person understands the importance of approaching his/her administrative duties as a partnership with our community, not just a job?
- What type of pre-analysis is needed before bringing in outside
management? How flexible and responsive will the management company be in defining
roles and responsibilities?
- How do we gain our community’s acceptance of the need to hire an
outside administrator? How do we ensure administrative and religious aspects of our motherhouse or facility are mutually supportive?
- How will our new model of an outside administrator “fit” with our current model of congregational management?
- What other communities have implemented motherhouse or facility management changes and how can we learn from their experiences?